Exploring Android Integration for an Old GPS Device

Android GPS / iPhone / Windows CE, for cars and trucks
Règles du forum
Comment télécharger? How to download?
Cliquez ici / Click here Image https://www.motorcarsoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=1294
Répondre
ReahaTaul
Marin 1er Classe.
Marin 1er Classe.
Belgium

Exploring Android Integration for an Old GPS Device

Message par ReahaTaul » mer. 13 mars 2024 08:59

I'm intrigued by the possibility of installing Android on my aging Garmin Nüvi 42LM and 44, equipped with a mini-USB port and a micro-SD card slot. Is there a feasible method to transform these devices into Android-powered screens, facilitating control over smart devices within my setup?

Should the process entail creating a custom kernel, I'm curious about the level of difficulty involved, particularly considering my lack of Kotlin experience (though I possess proficiency in other programming languages).

Any insights or guidance on this endeavor would be greatly appreciated.

KanitkarRana
Marin 1er Classe.
Marin 1er Classe.
Cyprus

Re: Exploring Android Integration for an Old GPS Device

Message par KanitkarRana » mar. 19 mars 2024 12:03

I understand your fascination with turning your Garmin Nüvi devices into Android-powered screens! However, installing Android on those specific models likely isn't feasible. Here's why:

Limited Hardware: These devices were designed for GPS navigation, and their processors and memory might not be strong enough to run Android smoothly.
Lack of Driver Support: Android requires specific drivers to interact with hardware, and custom versions for Garmin devices are probably non-existent.
Security Concerns: Tampering with firmware can introduce security vulnerabilities.
While creating a custom kernel might be technically possible for very experienced developers, it's an incredibly complex task, especially without prior experience with Garmin's specific hardware.

Here are some alternative approaches to consider:

Garmin Smartphone Link App: This app allows you to control some Garmin features from your smartphone, potentially achieving some smart device control indirectly.
Smart Home Hub with Display: Several smart home hubs come with built-in displays for controlling your smart devices.
While these options might not be a perfect replacement for your original idea, they offer a more realistic path to controlling your smart home through a dedicated screen.

Aashvi78
Marin 1er Classe.
Marin 1er Classe.
India

Message par Aashvi78 » dim. 31 mars 2024 19:52

Integrating an old GPS device with Android opens up exciting possibilities for modernizing its functionality. With the vast array of tools and APIs available on the Android platform, we can enhance the device's capabilities,
PM kisan statusproviding users with updated features and a seamless experience.

TiviamTonal
Marin 1er Classe.
Marin 1er Classe.
Brazil

Message par TiviamTonal » ven. 12 avr. 2024 08:17

While the idea of an Android-powered Garmin GPS is cool, I gotta give you the lowdown:

Not quite possible: Installing full-blown Android on your Garmin isn't really feasible. These devices run a proprietary operating system designed specifically for navigation.

Alternatives exist: Here are a couple options you might consider:

Garmin Drive App: Connect your Garmin to your Android phone via Bluetooth and use the Garmin Drive app to control navigation, weather, and traffic from your phone's screen.
Custom ROMs (tricky): There might be a small chance of finding custom ROMs for these devices, but it's uncommon and involves a high level of technical expertise.
Other projects: Look into projects like "Dashing" which allows building custom dashboards for devices with limited resources.
Creating a custom kernel (very difficult): This would be a highly advanced project requiring in-depth knowledge of Garmin's hardware and software. Even with Kotlin experience, it would be a significant challenge.

Overall, while the options for a full Android experience are limited, there might be alternative solutions that fit your needs!

Répondre

Retourner vers « GPS Android / iPhone / Windows CE, voitures et camions »